8/18/2005

Observations from visit to NCST on Sunday, 14th Aug

Dropped in to return a book to the library. PGDST 05-06 batch was undergoing first day’s induction. As the new guys came streaming out of the lecture room passageway into the reception, I was struck by their expression.

Reminded me of my own Day One! The excitement at being in a new environment among a group of strangers was tangible on their faces. I couldn’t help thinking how clueless they were (as was I) about what the year has in store. By the time you’re out, the expression changes from an excited one to a hardened (wizened), ‘I can take it – throw it at me!’ kind of look. The end of innocence, if you please!

Also couldn’t help thinking about the bonds formed during the year with batch-mates and some of the faculty (they’re ex-students too). It’s unsettling at the end when you find yourself minus the companionship enjoyed for a year. For the faculty especially, it must be quite an emotional wrangle -- to form friendships during the year, only to find the nest empty at the end, and then having to start the relationship-building process all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment